Your gymnasium floor is a significant investment. You should always make sure that you have adequate protection and maintenance practices set in place to retain its appearance and performance features. Protective gym floor coverings can be a useful tool in ensuring this.
When considering gym floor coverings, the variety of options may make it challenging to pick the best solution for your sports facility. To make the selection process easier for you, we’ve narrowed down the list to the top three best protective gym floor covers you should consider when purchasing one for your sports facility.
Why Use Gym Floor Protective Covering?
Many sports facility operators think they don’t need to employ gym floor coverings as a part of their maintenance routine. For this reason, let’s take a few seconds to understand the reasoning behind this before digging deeper into the main topic of this post.
Using protective gym floor covering is an integral part of proper hardwood gym floor maintenance. Here are some of the most significant reasons why you should consider using protective covering for your gym floors:
- Most Gyms are Multi-purpose — Gyms, especially those that are a part of a school or university, are generally multi-purpose. Besides sports activities, they are often used for various ceremonies, events, dances, and fairs. During such occasions, the floor experiences heavy foot traffic from hard-soled footwear. Gym floor coverings can significantly minimize the scuffs, dents, and scrapes.
- Coverings can Improve Your Gym’s Features — Understandably, each product offers different features. Unfortunately, this often gets overlooked. For example, carpet coverings are the best choice for improving your gym’s acoustics, while vinyl coverings offer enhanced slip protection.
- Coverings can Save You Time and Money — Even with best maintenance practices, hardwood gym floors will require an annual screening and recoating. Using floor coverings can help you extend this timeframe, reduce your hardwood’s maintenance needs, and increase its lifespan overall. In return, this saves you a lot of time and money you would otherwise be spending on expensive renovations.
The Best Gym Floor Protective Coverings
Tarp Floor Covers
Tarp covers are a typical gym floor protection choice for many good reasons. They are relatively inexpensive and can stand up to heavy foot traffic. They’re also lightweight and easy to lay and pick up.
When considering tarp floor covers for your facility, you should pay attention to features such as slip prevention, fire retardation, and whether the tarp sizing is standard or customizable.
Our gym floor coverings are coated on both sides with a PVC polyester mesh. They are waterproof and fire retardant. Even more importantly, our covers are resistant to mildew, mold, and rot.
They are also available in various colors, so you can customize your facility in a way that suits you the best. If you plan on frequently covering your gym floor, consider opting for one of the more heavy-duty solutions, like one of the other two coverings we’ll cover next.
Carpet Tile Floor Covers
Protective carpet tile floor covers offer the ideal features you would look for in such a product. They are durable, stylish, and slip-resistant, so you’ll make sure that everyone on the floor is comfortable and safe at all times.
Carpet tiles are a very sleek option, but one that also offers convenient performance features. As we mentioned before, carpet coverings, especially tiled ones, can help significantly increase your gym’s acoustics.
Plus, they are effortless to install and remove, as no additional tools or adhesives are required in the process. Compared to the previous type of floor covering, carpet tiles need only one person to lay down.
Our carpet tile floor covers are stain-resistant, fast-drying, and very easy to clean. Tiles come in sizes of 35″ x 70″ and come in several color options. Each tile weighs 8.2 pounds. You can store all of your carpet tiles on a large cart, allowing for convenient use and small storage requirements.
Carpet Roll Floor Covers
Our carpet roll floor covers look like traditional carpet but are also antimicrobial, tear-resistant, and stain-resistant. They also have a moisture barrier installed for added hardwood floor protection in case of any spills.
Sizes come at 6’’ wide with custom roll length. Weighing just 15.5 ounces per square yard, carpet rolls are easy to set down, roll up, and don’t take up much room in your storage area. Additionally, our carpet rolls come with a straightforward top hook seaming system for wood floors, with tape included for added protection for vinyl floors.
Have Questions About Protective Gym Floor Coverings? Contact Us Today
When considering which type of floor covering would be best for your facility, you should carefully consider many different factors. Ask questions like:
- How often do you use your gym for other non-sports activities?
- How much floor space do you need to cover, and do you have sufficient storage?
- Do you have a design preference?
If you need help answering these or any other questions that cross your mind, please reach out to us. Our experienced staff is eager to assist you in picking the best protective covering for your gym floor.
If you’ve already decided which of the three types of coverings you want to purchase for your facility, don’t delay your decision and make sure your hardwood floor is protected. Fill out our quick online form or call us now at (973) 801-7219.