Gym Floor Sanding & Refinishing
J & J Gym Floors can give you the look of a new gym floor for a fraction of the cost of one.
Sanding your gym floor to bare wood will brighten up your facility and breathe new life into your old, worn out floor.
In most cases, the sanding, painting, and finishing of your basketball court will take less than two weeks to complete.
Our Service Area:
- New Jersey
- New York
- NYC: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Staten Island
Get in touch...
We'll get back to you right away!
GYM FLOOR REFINISHING COSTS
Refinishing a gym floor is a cost-effective option that can be accomplished for a fraction of the cost of a new court.
A general gym floor refinishing cost range typically runs between two and three dollars per square foot. This can vary depending on the scope of work.
Factors that can affect your gym floor pricing include:
- The size of the floor
- The overall condition of the existing surface (the amount of existing finish needing removal)
- The extent of repairs needed to replaced cupped, buckled and water damaged wood
- Design of graphics and amount of painting required for lettering, game lines, logos. borders and keys
- Gym location (NY, NJ, CT, PA, DE MD, etc.)
- Labor costs – Union of Prevailing Wage versus Private Project
- Materials used – oil or water-based polyurethane, and the brand used
Please note that the two to three dollar price range should only be used for budgeting purposes.
Your final gym floor refinishing cost can vary from this general range.
For an accurate cost proposal, get in touch with us for an on-site consultation or more information
Refinishing your gym floor is an investment in your facility that can not only keep it looking professional but can keep players safe and injury free during practice sessions and games. With proper maintenance, your newly refinished gym floor can provide you with a gym floor your team will be proud to call home.
THE GYM FLOOR REFINISHING PROCESS
The process begins by sanding and removing all existing game lines, graphics, and layers of finish down to the raw wood surface. Then any scratches, cracks and deteriorating wood is repaired or replaced as needed. When the repair work is complete, the floor is resurfaced, and the new finish is applied.
The process normally includes these steps:
- First, the floor is sanded using a special “ride on” sanding machine. We normally take two passes over the surface using coarse, medium and fine grit sandpaper. Once the surface is sanded, all dust, and grit is completely removed to ensure a perfect finish.
- Two coats of oil-based MFMA-approved sealant is applied and screened between coats to give you the smoothest surface possible.
- After the sealant is dry, the tape is applied for games lines using special equipment, and stencils are placed for any images lettering which are painted onto the sealed surface.
- When dry, the tape and stencils are removed and the floor is again thoroughly cleaned.
- Finally, the paint is abraded and two additional coats of finish are applied and left to cure.
The entire refinishing process from sanding to curing takes about two weeks and your refinished floor is ready for action.
Gym Floor Design
Before we start sanding your gym floor we will provide you with a color gym floor design showing your game lines, gym floor logo and lettering.
Gym Floor Sanding
We then sand the gym floor using a gym ride on sander 3 times using course, medium, and fine grit sandpaper which will provide the smoothest surface to prepare for finishing.
Apply Sealer Coats
We then apply 2 coats of oil based gym floor sealer. We light sand and clean between coats to give you the smoothest surface possible.
Prep for Paint
After the 2nd sealer coat dries we light sand and clean the floor again to prepare for your painted lines and logos. We apply tape for your game lines with specialized equipment and place your stencils for any logos and lettering.
Gym Floor Painting
Now your gym floor is ready for paint. After your game lines and logos are painted the tape and stencils are removed.
Apply Finish Coats
The final step is to abrade the paint and apply 2 more coats of oil based gym floor polyurethane to protect the paint and give your gym floor the shine and traction you need.
our service area
We’re based in Northern New Jersey and we service most of NJ, NY, CT, PA, DE & MD.
Don’t see your state or county located below? Kindly contact us to review your project.